Friday, January 25, 2013

The Tide Has Turned!

I have a full time job again!!  Horray!!

I can't give you the details of how the past week has shaken down but boy oh boy were there a lot of meetings and phone calls.  I turned my anger into action!

The short version of myself and others vs. employer:  give me the job that I should have been hired for, was most senior and most qualified for or.... we can go to the Labour Standards Act or all the way to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  Your pick.  You can not discriminate against an injured worker when they are capable of doing the job.

Ta Dah!  The job opens up and I'm given the position the next day.  The new position comes with free scowls and sneers from a manager that got her hand slapped hard.  I don't care.  My boss (that I still hate) got a spank too.  Don't mess with me.  We kicked a$$ and took names.

The best day of all was when my little guy told me that I looked "Just like Alicia in The Good Wife" when I was preparing to go in to yet another meeting.  One of the hags ladies at the table looked like she had crawled out from a creek bank somewhere.  Just sayin' that if you are meeting with a bunch of suits, you should look like you belong.  (Thank goodness for the Christmas gift card free shopping!!!)

Now by Feb 4 we should know the status of dh's employment.  It looks promising and we are hopeful that things fall into place quickly.

My salary is still lower than it was pre-injury because I don't do any overtime but it will be a lot higher than it was heading earlier!

This job has a time limit of a year but there are many opportunities that can come along.  Once dh is settled into something and my year is up I am open to ideas and opportunities.  Those include part-time and being around more for my kids!

The Good Things....
an extra almost $30,000 per year
awesome friends and co-workers
a complete "rock" for me to lean on in my dh

Things that suck...
first world problems of what to wear to work

9 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm so happy for you!! Good.for.you. Sometimes you just have to make a stand. Glad hubby was there for you too and I hope his news is just as good!

By the way, I'm a HUGE fan of The Good Wife, LOVE her character.

Work clothes? I sport a lot of slacks and blouses. Works for me. :)!

Tania said...

That's fantastic! Congrats!

Lena said...

Congratulations! It's awesome news!!

j udy said...

Good for you! I cant see your new kick ass wardrobe! But seriously congrats!

Louise said...

thats great news!! good on you for sticking to your guns and arguing for your job. hope it goes well for you

Hawaii Planner said...

So happy for you!! What fantastic news. :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! So pleased for you :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, you got the job, but they will undoubtedly make it miserable for you. You sound like you can take it though.

Sharon said...

Hey B-Kat!
Just wanted to let you know that I have a new blog site URL

It's now www.midlifemusingsmom.com. Don't want you to forget about me! :)!